Welcome to A Taste of Anthropology!
This blog is an attempt to combine my love for anthropology and culinary arts, in a series of book and journal article reviews, as well features of similar blogs, all discussing the hot topic of Culinary Anthropology. Bon Appetit! -Holly

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Hello!

Since this is the first post of my blog, A Taste of Anthropology, I thought it would be nice to give a little background on myself and my interest in Culinary Anthropology!

I'm Holly, a senior at Humboldt State University, graduating this May!! I'm majoring in Anthropology (specializing in Cultural Anthropology) and I have minors in both Studio Art (Photography!) and French (although, unfortunately, I really don't speak well). I have had such an incredible journey throughout my four years here at HSU, but the last two have been the most influential.

I entered college as a history major, but soon realized that was NOT the major for me. Anthropology was always in the back of my mind and I finally took the Intro to Cultural Anth and fell in love! I started taking more Anthropology classes, and over the course of my junior year, I became much more confident in myself, specifically as an Anthropologist. 

My life, as an Anthropologist, changed the most dramatically when I was in Ethnography (cultural research methods training) my eyes were opened even more to the practical world of Anthropology. After being convinced to present at the American Anthropological Association 2012 National Meeting in San Francisco, with some of my Ethnography comrades, I began to really see my future in Anthropology. Right before the AAA meeting, I had a revelation the field of Anthropology I would soon fall for- one I hadn't though of before- Culinary Anthropology.

I've always had a passion for food, one in which I'm fulfilling this coming fall, when I attend Culinary School in London to become a trained pastry chef. But now that I was in love with Anthropology, I was conflicted between my two passions.

That's when a friend mentioned pursuing both.

What an idea? Making food, and then researching the culture that surrounds it? A match made in heaven! This is when I decided to begin reading around, to see if this kind of Anthropology was even in existence. So at the AAA's I went to many food lectures, and became even more inspired!

Now the story comes to more recent times, my final semester at HSU. To further my own understanding of what Culinary Anthropology is, I'm going to read through the literature: books, peer-reviewed articles, and other blogs; All focusing on FOOD!

So join me in my journey, one in which I hope to really gain insight on the delicious field of...

 Culinary Anthropology

-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment